Saturday, January 18, 2014

On the Top Shelf: A Flash Fiction


On the Top Shelf

As soon as I opened the door, I knew I would have to kill her.  She was there rambling around in my room.  I had warned Tracey time and time again to stay out of my office, but obviously to no avail.  Usually, I kept the door locked, but this time... this one time, I had forgotten.  Now, she was in there going through my stuff, and I would simply have to kill her. I had hoped things would be different this time.

I carefully closed the door as I came into my house.  I quietly eased the gun from the strap at my side.  I walked softly toward my office. God, I hated to do this, but what alternative did I have?  It was all a complication of the job.  Why the hell couldn’t she have just listen to me and stayed out of my office?

Maybe, just maybe she hadn’t found anything.  All the really incriminating evidence was hidden in the secret safe.  The desk drawers were all locked.  As long as she hadn’t bothered the cigar box on the top shelf of the book case, she might not have found out anything. 

The door to my office was cracked. I slid it opened a little more so that I could ease inside without being heard.  I would make this as quick and as painless as possible.  I loved Tracey, and I didn’t want her to suffer the way so many of my targets had before they died.  But, that was different. Killing them was just a part of the job, but Tracey was my fiancée. I never told her what I really did for a living. I couldn’t. For goodness sake, she thought I sold insurance. 

I slid into the room expecting to see Tracey.  Instead of my fiancée, I found her cat Mittens.  She had badly damaged my couch, and she had knocked several books off their selves.  Mittens had even knocked down the cigar box from the top shelf.  Keys and several different passports lay on the floor. She seemed shocked to see me. She seemed even more shocked when I raised my gun and shot her.

“Have you seen Mittens?” Tracey asked me later that evening over dinner. 

“No, can’t say I have,” I replied as I popped a roll in my mouth and glanced out toward the lump of dirt in the backyard.  I have warned them to never go into my office and to never touch anything on the top shelf of my bookcase.

No comments:

Post a Comment