Sunday, May 25, 2014

Advice for Our Daughters


Growing up as a female can be hard. There are some things that women experience that men just don’t. We are the seed carriers of the world. We are the nurturers. And, too often we are the burden bearers. Our hormones kick in when we are about ten, and from that point on, we rage and we war with our emotions. Yes, some of us can talk to our mothers. Then, some of us can’t. I can remember growing up and being curious about boys, but also being too afraid to talk to my mother about this. I was afraid of what she would think. I was afraid of what my grandmother and aunt would think. I wanted to be a “good girl”.
My mother didn’t know to talk to me about sex. To be honest, I don’t think she knew how. She grew up in a time when this just wasn’t done. The majority of African American mother did not talk to their daughters about sex or the changes their body would experience. So, I hid my curiosity. But, by hiding my budding sexuality, I set myself on a destructive course that would take decades to undo. God has not given me a daughter, but here are some things that I would tell my daughter.
All Men are not the Same
No, child. All men are not the same. All men are not dogs. All men are not evil and just after one thing. There are some good men out there. There are some good black men in the world. And, no you don’t have to dress like a tramp to get one. You just have to be able to recognize a good man when you see one.
There is nothing “evil” or “bad” about sex
Sex is not “bad”. I was taught that only “bad girls” had sex, and only “nasty girls” liked sex. Come on, ladies. This is a sad misconception, and one that should have never been taught to our girls. Yes, it does date back centuries. However, it sends the wrong message about sex to our females. It makes them feel “bad” or “dirty” for enjoying something that God gave us-an act that God meant to be beautiful. No, I am not telling you to tell your daughters to go have sex with everybody. But, I am saying that they should be taught how to love and enjoy their husbands.
Value Yourself
This leads to my next point. I would tell my daughter to value herself. Young girls need to know that their body is a temple. It is not a playground. Any and everybody should not be able to come and trample around in it. There should not cast their pearls before swine. Yes, I did say that not all men are dogs. This is true. Yes, I did say that girls should be taught that sex is not “nasty”. However, that doesn’t mean that you give your cookies away to everybody that asks for them. Young girls need to realize that they are special and that God gave them a special and beautiful gift.  To quote the words of Muhammad-Ali: “everything that God made valuable in the world is covered and hard to get to.”
Never Compromise Who You Are
It is so easy for girls to become insecure about the way they look or the way they dress. They can become the victims of negative influence. So, it is so important that they know there is nothing wrong with being different. They should be taught that it is actually great to be unique.  So, I would tell my daughter not to compromise her values just to fit in or to try to keep a man. Girls must be taught that they are fearfully and wonderfully made.
As mothers, it is our jobs to teach our daughters to love and value themselves. The things above are some of the things that I would teach my daughter.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment