Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Will Barbie Dolls Get a Make-Over?

 


Barbie has been the symbol of the both childhood and feminine beauty since she was invented in 1959 by Ruth Handler. Barbie’s hour glass shape is recognized world-wide. And, it is that very shape that has received criticism for years. Many people argue that her shape is not the shape of a normal 19 year old girl. They also claim that Barbie’s shape has lead to unhealthy ideas about what beauty is.

Some of those people would like to see Barbie’s shape changed. They want the doll to represent what a real nineteen year old girl would look like. Artist Nickolay Lamm recent did just that. He designed a 3-D version of the world famous doll. So, what do I think?

I think it would be great if they did make a more realistic doll. Although Barbie did not give me unrealistic ideas about what ‘true beauty’ is, I was saddened during my childhood not to see a doll that better represented me – an African American girl. It wasn’t until 1980 that an African American Barbie doll put in an appearance. I was absolutely thrilled. I was so thrilled that I formed a love for dolls. To this day, I love to collect dolls. I especially love to collect the different versions of African American Barbie doll.

So, something as simple as a doll can affect the way young girls view themselves. I can see how Barbie’s large breasts and thin waistline would give some girls a complex. I am also forced to admit that I did envy Barbie’s shape as a young girl. I was tall and thin. I did have a tiny waist at the time, but I certainly didn’t have her chest or her long, flowing blonde hair.  Fortunately, I didn’t develop an eating disorder or long to be someone I wasn’t. 

Although I don’t think Mattel will change Barbie’s looks any time soon, I do think they should give some consideration to making Barbie a little more realistic. What do you think? Did you ever wish you looked differently than the way you do today? Share your thought.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment