Thursday, April 24, 2014

Our Children, Us, and Potty-Mouths



We Have Created a Generation of Potty-Mouth Children: Now, What?
I will be the first to admit that there are times when I say words that I really shouldn’t. You know those colorful, choice words that we won’t want our pastor to know that we say. Well, if we are honest, most of us have a potty-mouth. And, sadly, we have that potty-mouth around our children-those poor, trusting souls who look to us for guidance and for an example of how they should behave.
When I was growing up, I knew bad words, and I knew when to use them. I did not use them on church ground. I did not use them near my mother’s friends or any adult for that matter. I respected my elders. Sadly, today’s youth are not that way. They use bad words and are proud of it.
As an elementary school teacher, I was surprise to hear such foul language from such young children. One of my ten year old students said, “Okay. Everyone in here (the classroom) uses curse words.” Wow! Everyone. Every single one of my young students?! Not only do they use curse words, but they talk about sex most of the day. Of course, they try to talk about it in code to keep me from knowing that they are talking about it. But, to think that a ten-year is even thinking about sex is almost unbelievable. So, where did these potty-mouths come from?
Simple. They came from us. When I asked one student why they talked like they do, he promptly told me that he learned all of this from hanging around older kids. And, it is not just the older kids who are teaching these children to curse and talk about sex. It is us.
It is the adults who control what their children see and hear. It is our fault they we are raising a generation that does not respect its elders. It is our fault that our children are having sex at a young age.
So, what you say. What harm is there in a few curse words or a little sexual exploration? Besides, who wants to be a prude? Prudes are no fun. And, isn’t it cute when Little Sue says to cute grown-up curse words? Stop and think about it. Is this really what you want?

Now that you have thought about it. Help change the world. Try to control your tongue. And, I will continue to try to control mine. Each day, I will make an effort to avoid those exciting and far too descriptive words. Please join me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment