Saturday, June 14, 2014

Reasons I Celebrate Father's Day


 

Father’s Day is one of those holidays that most people then to overlook. Sure, they call dad and wish him a “Happy Father’s Day” and they buy him one of those corky gifts. Then, there are some people who don’t even give the holiday another thought. Although I didn’t used to give this holiday a lot of attention when I was young, I now realize that Father’s Day is just as important as Mother’s Day.

My biological father died over fourteen years ago. Although I loved my father, there were some time when we didn’t get along. There were even times when I became so angry with him that I almost hated him. In some ways, he negatively influenced the way I looked at men and relationships. It took me years to get over some of my anger and resentment. Don’t get me wrong. I loved my father and always will. It was only after he died that I realized just how much.

I was also fortunate enough to have a wonderful stepfather. Yes, there were times when I didn’t agree with him or his form of discipline. And, when I was young, I resent his presence in my mother’s life. I felt this way because I knew that I could get away with more with just my mother. My stepdad wasn’t going for any my antics.

It was after my father’s death that I realized how much I actually loved him. Despite all of the pain he had caused me, he was still my dad. There had been good time along with the bad times. I also came to the realization that he was only human. He had been just a man. And, as a flawed human being, he had done the best that he could with what he had. He was only trying to find his own piece of the American pie.

It was around this time that I realized just I was still blessed. Although my biological father had passed, I still had my stepdad. My stepdad had been a little rough around the edges to start with, but I know he loves me. My stepfather also loves my kids. To them, he was “Papa”, and Papa babysits on a regular basis. He does all of the handy work around my house, and he does all of the automotive work on my car. I don’t know what I would do with him.

My biological father has been dead for over 10 years now. At times, I still miss him. I miss his quick humor and his fun-loving ways. However, I am so thankful that I have my stepfather. Both of them hold a special place in my heart. Because of these two great men, I realize just how important Father’s Day is.

No comments:

Post a Comment